Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Version HistoryVersion History




Seizing Property





Contact E-Mail Address


Contact Name


Contact Picture


Rollup Image


Target Audiences

No targeting

Page Title


Body Copy 2A

Seizing Property to Pay for a Judgment - Self Help


The following information will take you through the steps necessary in a proceeding to seize property to collect money on a judgment.


Statutes and Court Rules

Statutes and court rules on seizing property to enforce a money judgment are MCL 600.6001 et seq. and MCR 2.621.


Using Court Forms

Court forms are available for use in proceedings to seize property. These forms follow the procedures stated in the Michigan Compiled Laws and Michigan Court Rules and can be used without the assistance of an attorney.  Instructions for completing the forms are not available.


When completing a form online, you must print the number of copies you will need for filing with the court and serving on the parties.  See the upper right-hand corner of each form for this information.  If you do not provide the court with the correct number of copies, the court might reject the form for nonconformance under the authority of Michigan Court Rule 8.119(C). Unless specifically required by court rule or statute, the court is not responsible for making copies of forms for you.


Filing a Request to Seize Property

You must wait 21 days after your judgment was signed before you can get an order to seize property. Once you complete form MC 19, Request and Order to Seize Property, you must file it with the court that entered your judgment. The filing fee is $15.00. The judge will sign the order.


Serving the Order to Seize Property

The court will issue the order by signing the form. The Request and Order to Seize property must be served on the person who owes money on the judgment. The order to seize property can only be served (executed) by a court-appointed officer.

Receiving Money

The court-appointed officer must file reports with the court and notify the parties of all property that is seized and any payments that have been made from that property. The court-appointed officer will use form MC 82, Partial Payment Receipt and Inventory of Seized Property, and form MC 83, Report of Collection Activity Under Order to Seize Property, to do this. Any property that is seized will be sold and the money given to you. The court officer who seized the property is entitled to fees, which will be deducted from the sale of the property.

Body Copy 2B

Body Copy 3A

​Find Your Court

Trial Court Directory 

Body Copy 3B

Body Copy 1A

Related Links 3A

Related Links 1A

Feature Image 2A

Feature Image 3A

Body Copy 1B

Collection Links 01

Collection Links 02

Collection Links 03

Collection Links 04

Collection Links 05

Collection Links 06

Collection Links 07

Collection Links 08

Collection Links 09

Collection Title 01

Collection Title 02

Collection Title 03

Collection Title 04

Collection Title 05

Collection Title 06

Collection Title 07

Collection Title 08

Collection Title 09

MSC Article Date


MSC Article Byline




Collection Title 5a



Body Copy 2C

Body Copy 2D

Body Copy 3D

Body Copy 4D

Content Type: MSC Layout
Version: 8.0
Created at 7/25/2012 12:05 PM by COURT\ElGaroushiA
Last modified at 11/26/2014 10:47 AM by COURT\MinkMAdmin