The Court will be closed, and therefore unable to accept or docket filings, on the following dates in calendar year 2016:
New Year's Holiday, Friday, January 1, 2016
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Monday, January 18, 2016
Presidents' Day, Monday, February 15, 2016
Memorial Day, Monday, May 30, 2016
Independence Day, Monday, July 4, 2016
Labor Day, Monday, September 5, 2016
Veterans' Day, Friday, November 11, 2016
Thanksgiving Holiday, Thursday-Friday, November 24-25, 2016
Christmas Holiday, Friday, December 23; Monday, December 26, 2016
New Year's Eve, Friday, December 30, 2016
2017 Court Holidays:
New Year's Holiday, Monday, January 2, 2017
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Monday, January 16, 2017
Presidents' Day, Monday, February 20, 2017
Memorial Day, Monday, May 29, 2017
Independence Day, Tuesday, July 4, 2017
Labor Day, Monday, September 4, 2017
Veterans' Day, Friday, November 10, 2017
Thanksgiving Holiday, Thursday, November 23 and Friday, November 24, 2017
Christmas Holiday, Friday, December 22 and Monday, December 25, 2017
New Year's Eve, Friday, December 29, 2017
Court Holidays are in accordance with MCR 8.110(D):
(D) Court Hours; Court Holidays; Judicial Absences.
- (1) Court Hours. The chief judge shall enter an administrative order under MCR 8.112(B) establishing the court's hours.
- (2) Court Holidays; Local Modification.
- (a) The following holidays are to be observed by all state courts, except those courts which have adopted modifying administrative orders pursuant to MCR 8.112(B):
New Year's Day, January 1;
Martin Luther King, Jr., Day, the third Monday in January in conjunction with the federal holiday;
Presidents' Day, the third Monday in February;
Memorial Day, the last Monday in May;
Independence Day, July 4;
Labor Day, the first Monday in September;
Veterans' Day, November 11;
Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday in November;
Friday after Thanksgiving;
Christmas Eve, December 24;
Christmas Day, December 25;
New Year's Eve, December 31;
- (b) When New Year's Day, Independence Day, Veterans' Day, or Christmas Day falls on Saturday, the preceding Friday shall be a holiday. When New Year's Day, Independence Day, Veterans' Day, or Christmas Day falls on Sunday, the following Monday shall be a holiday. When Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve falls on Friday, the preceding Thursday shall be a holiday. When Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve falls on Saturday or Sunday, the preceding Friday shall be a holiday.
- (c) Courts are encouraged to promulgate a modifying administrative order if appropriate to accommodate or achieve uniformity with the holiday practices of local governmental units regarding local public employees.
- (d) With the prior approval of the chief judge, a judge may continue a trial in progress or dispose of judicial matters on any of the listed holidays if he or she finds it to be necessary.
- (e) Any action taken by a court on February 12, Lincoln's birthday, or on the second Monday in October, Columbus Day, shall be valid.